Thursday, May 24, 2018

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dolphins



After our boat trip to bird island we were faced with a long voyage back to the main land. Though the swell was high and the boat rocked back and forth, the ride back was mostly uneventful. Exhausted I tried to find a good place to nap. With all the prime napping spots taken however, I found myself waiting for someone to wake up and move. I passed the time by watching some of the videos I shoot during my dive and eating a wonderfully prepared lunch. After about an hour or so of this my chance to get some rest presented itself. The most welcoming green couch I’ve ever seen was open and calling my name in the galley, I feel asleep. I awoke to sounds of screaming, shouts came from the front of the boat and I opened my eyes in a panic. In fight or flight mode, I arose only to be tossed head first into the galley table by the rocking of the boat. With the table nocked over and the sound of screaming filling the air I stumbled to my feet in search of a fire extinguisher thinking surely something must be a flame with all this screaming. Nothing was on fire however, made clear by the collective “awwww” and “OMG look there’s dolphins”. A pod of friendly dolphins followed the boat and began showing off for us. They were spectacular and despite the minor injuries I sustained the sighting was worth it. Though I could of went without the screaming, the experience was one I will likely never forget. Watching the pod play around the boat made for an amazing end to a great day on the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment